07 September 2009

$$$ for learning

So far, I'm pretty disappointed with the $$$ for Learning program. I was matched up with my chevrusa partner, Shoshana, three weeks ago, and we still haven't really gotten started. Each time she brings a different book, and each time it's not what I'm looking for. I want to learn about prayer and kavanah; so far, either the books don't talk about that or they don't bring up much for discussion and just reading words off a page isn't very fulfilling. This morning I checked out a copy of Heschel's Man's Quest for G-d from the library; I think we're going to be learning from that from now on. I've read it before, but it's very deep and I think we can get more out of it together than I was able to reading it by myself. Shoshana's never read Heschel before, so introducing her to him will also be fun.

Shoshana's nice, though. We've spent a fair amount of time talking--in fact, that's most of what we did the first meeting. (Opps.) She's pregnent, due in a month or so, and I don't know what's going to happen once she has the baby. The rebbitzen must have a way to work with such things, though. So many of the chevrusa partners have babies or are about to have babies...

No comments:

Post a Comment