10 August 2009

More adventures with Egged

Tonight I went to visit Ahuva and her friend Alexis. Alexis is also a student at Hebrew University, so I just rode the bus home with her. We had a nice night (dinner and grocery shopping). I am now the proud owner of two bottles of shampoo.

And the night ends. Alexis took me to the bus stop for the 30, the bus she takes to campus every morning. After waiting for 35 minutes, we discovered that this particular bus stopped running at 20:00, and it's now 21:50. Okay. The 19 stops just down the street. Except... there's construction in Jerusalem, so all of these streets are one-way. We essentially wandered from the YMCA to the Old City without finding a stop headed in the right direction. Everywhere we turned there was a 19 headed away from campus, but I didn't want to repeat Tuesday's experience without knowing whether the bus would still run to take me back. It was a bit of a nightmare.

I ended up taking a taxi back, and getting ripped off while I was at it. In Israel you agree on a price before you get in the taxi--in this case, 30 NIS. Only, the taxi driver changed it to 40 NIS right after we left, and I'm exhausted enough that I didn't think to argue and/or find another cab. So I got ripped off. I think I've learned for next time. Only next time, I hope I won't have to take a taxi.

Let me say this once and for all: I HATE YOU, EGGED.

(I think if some third party rode the buses around and created a map of the system, that person would make a whole lot of money...)

No comments:

Post a Comment