22 August 2009

Shabbat in Jerusalem

When I describe BUCO to people, I say that it's like Shira Hadasha without the mechitza. I am proud to say that I attended services at Shira Hadasha last night, and it really is an accurate analogy. It was a wonderful service; I wish I lived downtown so Shira Hadasha could be my regular minyan.

I'm spending Shabbat with Ahuva. Last night we went to services and dinner at the house of one of her friends from HUC, and then we came back and collapsed. Well, Ahuva and I both collapsed--as soon as Mr. FuzzFuzz (Ahuva's cat) decided to give up his half of the couch, I was out. Actually, he never did give it up - Ahuva's friend Alexis had to move him.

The annoying thing about Jerusalem is that the busses stop running between 15:00 and 17:00 on Fridays and don't start running again until an hour after the end of Shabbat, thus why I'm on Ahuva's couch. In theory I could take a taxi back to campus, but I'm a cheapy who doesn't currently have the money for such things. We've had a really lazy day, lots of sleeping and reading and talking. The sun's going down; the first bus reaches here in an hour and a half.

I'm currently reading Ahuva's senior thesis, which is entitled "Concessions, or the Relationship between Sexuality and the Pursuit of Holiness: a Comparative Exploration of Virginity, Marriage, and Contraception in Roman Catholicism and Orthodox Judaism." I'm really enjoying it, and not just because it's an interesting topic. So far my only class here has been ulpan, and that's not academic in the sense of thinking and analyzing and the passage of knowledge from one person (or persons) to another. I'm realizing how much I miss such things now. I guess this is more proof that I'm going into the right field after college--what is sociology if not the making and passing of knowledge?

No comments:

Post a Comment